Friday, December 17, 2004

Cyber Peeves

What's up with the total disregard for accepted grammar, punctuation and spelling on the internet? Admittedly, I'm literarily minded; I write for personal pleasure; I read the classics etc. etc. But why do so few people agree with me on using regular correspondence conventions while chatting and IMing? It's not that it slows down typing by that much. And punctuation and capitals are used to make reading the written word easier. (The same goes for serifs, the little do-hickies on the terminus points of letters. Sans-serif fonts are gaining popularity, more as a back lash against the ubiquitous Times than anything else. But I digress.)

I don't mind the abbreviations like "lol" or "brb"; occasionally I use them myself. They seem to be the online equivalent of a shrug, nods, winks. Emoticons, well, I don't use them at all; they appear pretentious in my own writing, but generally they don't annoy me when used judiciously by others. If every entry ends with some cutesy little happy face...your time with me is limited.


I'll admit some of my feelings about the ultra-casual writing style on the net is turning into prejudice. I'm beginning to assume that anyone who spells "you" as "u" does so because they are either too stupid or to lazy to do it the right way. And by extension, anyone who does it "correctly" is more intelligent. I'll have to work on that. The vast majority of people chatting are far more laid back about it than I am.


but u wont be catching me doing it any time soon lmao

1 Comments:

Blogger dante said...

Hey-hey and G'day, this is your estranged comrade in arm (Shawn_Jhonson2003@yahoo; Davey-Dave The Brave that really funny crazy guy you met about four years ago now, maybe more) that agrees with (u lol) you full heartedly with you current yet humorous outrage over 'the topic' in question.
your Aussie mate
Dave.

April 11, 2006 at 2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home